Plant and soil ecology; biogeochemical cycling; biodiversity and ecosystem functioning; global change; methane and nitrous oxide dynamics; statistical analysis;
Education and Professional Positions
|2009 - present||Senior Scientist at Department of Evolutionary Biology and Environmental Studies, University of Zurich, Leader of Global Change and Soil Ecology Group|
|2004 - 2010||Senior scientist at Institute of Plant Sciences, ETH Zurich, Coordinator of TUMSS methane research cluster and investigations of ecological controls of methane and nitrous oxide fluxes|
|2003 - 2004||Two-year scholarship (Treubel foundation of the Freiwillige Akademische Gesellschaft) for teaching, research, and 'habilitation' qualification at the University of Basel|
|2001 - 2002||National Science Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship for Advanced Researchers. Grant title: "Interaction between atmospheric nitrogen deposition, plant species diversity, and soil methane consumption".
Research stays at IACR Rothamsted (UK) and Landcare Research (New Zealand)
|1997 - 2000||Post-doctoral researcher (assistant) at the Institute of Botany, University of Basel, Switzerland (funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation within the Swiss Priority Programme Environment)|
|1994 - 1996||PhD-Assistant and part-time technician (electronics) at the University of Basel|
|1992 - 1993||Research technician at the Institute of Applied Plant Biology in Schönenbuch, Switzerland|
|1993||Design and construction of a fully automated CO2 enrichment facility at the University of Basel|
- Gonzalez-Dominguez B, Niklaus PA, Studer MS, Hagedorn F, Wacker L, Haghipour N, Zimmermann S, Walthert L, McIntyre C, Abiven S (2019) Temperature and moisture are minor drivers of regional-scale soil organic carbon dynamics. Scientific Reports, in press.
- Hovenden MJ, Leuzinger S, Newton PCD, Fletcher A, Fatichi S, Lüscher A, Reich PB, Andresen LC, Beier C, Blumenthan DM, Chiariello NR, Dukes JS, Kellner J, Hofmockel K, Niklaus PA, Song J, Wan S, Classen AT, Langley JA (2019) Globally consistent influences of seasonal precipitation limit grassland biomass response to CO2. Nature Plants. DOI: 10.1038/s41477-018-0356-x.
- Bruelheide H, Chen YX, Huang YY, Ma KP, Niklaus PA, Schmid B (2019) Response to Comment on "Impacts of species richness on productivity in a large-scale subtropical forest experiment". Science 363, eaav9863. DOI: 10.1126/science.aav9863.
- Wuest SE, Niklaus PA (2018) A plant biodiversity effect resolved to a single chromosomal region. Nature Ecology & Evolution 2:1933-1939. DOI:10.1038/s41559-018-0708-y.
- Burri S, Niklaus PA, Grassow K, Buchmann N, Kahmen A (2018) Effects of plant productivity and species richness on the drought response of soil respiration in temperate grasslands. PLOS one 13:e0209031. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0209031
- Huang Y, ... , Bruelheide H, Ma K, Niklaus PA Schmid B (2018) Strong Impacts of Biodiversity in a Large-Scale Subtropical Forest Experiment. Science 362:80-83. DOI:10.1126/science.aat6405
- Liu X, ..., Niklaus PA, ... , Ma KP (2018) Tree species richness increases ecosystem carbon storage in subtropical forests. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 285:20182090. DOI:10.1098/rspb.2018.1240.
- Ley M, Lehmann MF, Niklaus PA, Luster J (2018) Alteration of nitrous oxide emissions from floodplain soils by aggregate size, litter accumulation and plant soil interactions. Biogeosciences (22) 7043-7057 DOI:10.5194/bg-15-7043-2018.
- Ferrari A, Hagedorn F, Niklaus PA (2018) Disentangling effects of air and soil temperature on C allocation in cold environments: A 14C pulse-labelling study with two plant species. Ecology and Evolution 8:7778-7789. DOI:10.1002/ece3.4215.
- Schnyder E, Bodelier PLE, Hartmann M, Henneberger R, Niklaus PA (2018) Positive diversity-functioning relationships in model communities of methanotrophic bacteria. Ecology 99:714-723. DOI:10.1002/ecy.2138.
- Schuldt A, ..., Niklaus PA, ..., Bruelheide H (2018) Biodiversity across trophic levels drives multifunctionality in highly diverse forests (2018) Nature Communications 9:2989. DOI:10.1038/s41467-018-05421-z
- Huang YY, Ma KP, Niklaus PA, Schmid B (2018) Leaf-litter overyielding in a forest biodiversity experiment in subtropical China. Forest Ecosystems 5:38. DOI:10.1186/s40663-018-0157-8.
- Milkereit J, Frossard E, Stoll P, Wagg C, Niklaus PA (2018) Experimental disconnection from common mycorrhizal networks has little effect on competitive interactions among common temperate grassland species. Journal of Ecology 106:2332-2343. DOI:10.1111/1365-2745.12984.