For my Postdoc research I study how evolution modifies stability of aquatic (meta)communities using a Large Experimental Array of Ponds (LEAP) at McGills Gault Nature Reserve in Mont St.-Hilaire, QC, Canada. In these ponds (107 of them!) we assembled a food web consisting of natural lake water communities and tracked these communities over the field season 2018. We were interested in the impact of environmental stress (acidification and natural heat shocks) on community stability and community evolutionary rescue.
My doctoral research focused on the positive relationship between plant biodiversity and ecosystem functioning in a grassland biodiversity experiment (The Jena Experiment). I tested whether community evolution may drive this relationship. Furthermore I investigated how plant-soil feedbacks shape the biodiversity-ecosystem functioning relationship.
I'm generally interested in community function and stability, community ecology, species interactions, species coexistence, division of labour and community evolution
Education and Professional Positions
|2018 - present||Post-doc at the Department of Biology, McGill University, Montreal, Canada with Prof. Andrew Gonzalez. Co-advised by Prof. Owen Petchey, Department of Evolutionary Biology and Environmental Studies, University of Zurich, Switzerland.|
|2017 - 2018||Post-doc at the Department of Evolutionary Biology and Environmental Studies. Advisors: Prof. Owen Petchey and Prof. Bernhard Schmid, Department of Evolutionary Biology and Environmental Studies, University of Zurich, Switzerland|
|2013 - 2017||Ph.D. position. Project: Community history and ecosystem functioning. Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Bernhard Schmid, Department of Evolutionary Biology and Environmental Studies, University of Zurich, Switzerland|
|2012 - 2013||M.Sc. in Biology/Microbiology at the University of Zurich. Title of thesis: High-throughput assessment of metabolic pathways in E. coli. Supervisors: Prof. Dr. Martin Ackermann and Dr. David Johnson, EAWAG, Switzerland|
|2008 - 2012||B.Sc. in Biology at the University of Zurich, Switzerland|
- Schmid, M.W.°, Hahl, T.°, van Moorsel, S.J.°, Wagg, C., De Deyn, G.B. & Schmid, B. Feedbacks of plant identity and diversity on the diversity and community composition of rhizosphere microbiomes from a long-term biodiversity experiment. Molecular Ecology (in press) °equal contribution
- van Moorsel, S.J., Schmid, M.W., Hahl, T., Zuppinger-Dingley, D. & Schmid, B. Selection in response to community diversity alters plant performance and functional traits. 2018. Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 33:51–61
- van Moorsel S. J.°, Hahl T.°, Wagg C., De Deyn G. B., Flynn D. F. B., Zuppinger-Dingley D. and Schmid B. (2017) Community evolution increases plant productivity at low diversity. Ecology Letters DOI: 10.1111/ele.12879 °equal contribution
- van Moorsel, S.J. Profile. 2018. New Phytologist 217:993–994.
- Yamasaki, E., Altermatt, F., Cavender-Bares, J., Schuman, M.C., Zuppinger-Dingley, D., Garonna, I., Schneider, F., Guillen, C., van Moorsel, S.J., Hahl, T., Schmid, B., Schaepman-Strub, G., Schaepman, M.E. & Shimizu, K.K. Genomics meets remote sensing in global change studies: monitoring and predicting phenology, evolution and biodiversity. 2017. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability 29:177–186.
- Evidence for rapid evolution in grasslands. Global Change and Biodiversity Conference in Monte Verità 2016.
see the poster (PDF, 5082 KB)
- Is there evidence for rapid evolution in a long-term grassland biodiversity experiment? Biology16 in Lausanne 2016.
- Is there evidence for rapid evolution in a long-term grassland biodiversity experiment? Symposium of the Zurich-Basel Plant Science Center in Zurich 2015.
- Evolution of monoculture and mixture types in a grassland biodiversity experiment. 27th Plant Population Biology conference in Konstanz 2014 (winner of the 1st poster prize).
see the poster (PDF, 2442 KB)
- Evolution of monoculture and mixture types in a grassland biodiversity experiment. 33rd New Phytologist Symposium in Zurich 2014.
- QCBS Symposium, Montréal, CA, 2018
- Biology18 conference, Neuchâtel, CH, 2018
- British Society of Ecology (BES) annual meeting, Ghent, BEL, 2017
- 40th New Phytologist Symposium, Vienna, AT (selected speaker), 2017
- Aquatic ecology & macroevolution seminar series, EAWAG Kastanienbaum, CH (invited speaker), 2017
- Institute of Plant Sciences, University of Bern, CH (invited speaker), 2017
- Biology17 in Bern, Switzerland, 2017.
- BES Annual Meeting in Liverpool, UK, 2016.
- 101st Annual Meeting of the Ecological Society of America (ESA) in Fort Lauderdale, USA, 2016.
- 100th Annual Meeting of the Ecological Society of America (ESA) in Baltimore, USA, 2015.
- 28th Plant Population Biology conference in Tübingen, DE, 2015.