Table of contents
Since 2014, I established a range of academic courses for science communication through film: “Filmmaking for Scientists”, “Filmmaking-Marathon”, “Photography for Scientists”, “Storytelling & Storyboarding Science”, “Video-Journalism for Scientists”, and “Science Event Planning & Management”. In 2017 I founded the Swiss Science Film Academy www.sciencefilm.ch aiming to connect science and society through film.
My research on science communication is focused on science films.
Education and Professional Positions
|2020||Ph.D. in Film Studies, Cordoba University, Spain|
|2018 - present||Research Visitor, University of Zurich, Switzerland|
|2014 - present||Director, Science Film Academy, Switzerland|
|2011 - 2013||Research Associate, University of Zurich, Switzerland|
|2009 - 2011||Post-doctoral fellow, Doñana Biological Station (CSIC), Spain|
|2009||Post-doctoral fellow, University of Torino, Italy|
|2013||Postgraduate in Cinematography, Escola Superior de Cinema I Audiovisuals de Catalunya (ESCAC), Spain|
|2012||M.A. in Film Direction, Escola Superior de Cinema I Audiovisuals de Catalunya (ESCAC), Spain|
|2011||M.A. in Film Studies, University of Cordoba, Spain|
|2009||Ph.D. in Biology, University of Jaen, Spain|
|1998||B.A. in Agriculture Engineering, Agriculture Faculty, University of Aleppo, Syria|
Link to the trailers of my films and the behind the scenes of my workshops.
- Angelone S. (2021). Don’t Look UP: Science Communication Revisited. Science Communication 44 (3), 375-382 DOI: doi.org/10.1177/10755470221092100
- Angelone S., Soriguer RC., Melendo A. (2020). Filmmaking courses for scientists help promote richer alternatives to chronological narratives; Studies in Higher Education 45(9), 2001-2010; DOI: 10.1080/03075079.2019.1604651
- Angelone S. (2019). A new generation of ‘scientists-as-filmmakers’: experiences gained in Switzerland. Science Communication 41 (3), 369-377. DOI: 10.1177/1075547019837620
- Angelone S., Soriguer RC., Melendo A. (2019). Modes of documentary films produced by the future generation of ‘scientists-as-filmmakers’. Journal of Science Education, Part B, 285-295. DOI: 10.1080/21548455.2019.1657251
- Mutinda M., Chenge G., Gakuya F. Otiende M., Omondi P., Kasiki S., Soriguer RC., Angelone S. (2014). Detusking Fence-Breaker Elephants as an Approach in Human-Elephant Conflict Mitigation. PLoS ONE 9: e91749. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0091749
- Angelone S. (2013). War Diseases Revealed by the Social Media: Massive Leishmaniasis Outbreak in the Syrian Spring. Parasites & Vectors 6: e94. DOI: 10.1186/1756-3305-6-94
- Angelone S., Permunian R., Gakuya F., Mutinda M., Soriguer RC., Rossi L. (2012). Sarcoptic-Mange Detector Dogs Used to Identify Infected Animals During Outbreaks in Wildlife. BMC Veterinary Research 8, no. 110: e110. DOI: 10.1186/1746-6148-8-110
- Angelone S., Soriguer RC., Chelomina G., Sushitskyc YP., Fickeld J. (2011). Siberian Tiger’s Recent Population Bottleneck in the Russian Far East Revealed by Microsatellite Markers. Mammalian Biology 76, no. 6: 722–26. DOI: 10.1016/j.mambio.2011.01.011