Since 2014, I established a range of academic courses for science communication through film: “Filmmaking for Scientists”, “Filmmaking-Marathon”, “Photography for Scientists”, “Storytelling & Storyboarding Science”, “Video-Journalism for Scientists”, and “Science Event Planning & Management”. In 2017 I founded the Global Science Film Festival www.sciencefilm.ch as the first Swiss platform for science films.
As scientist I work with Kenya Wildlife Service in several projects focusing on population genetics, diseases, forensics, wildlife conservation, and human-elephant conflict.
Education and Professional Positions
|2018 - present||Research Associate, Department of Evolutionary Biology & Environmental Studies, University of Zurich, Switzerland|
|2014 - present||Filmmaker and festival lead organizer, Science Film Academy, Switzerland|
|2011 - 2013||Research Associate, Department of Evolutionary Biology & Environmental Studies, University of Zurich, Switzerland|
|2009 - 2011||Post-doctoral fellow, Doñana Biological Station, Spanish High Council for Scientific Research (CSIC), Seville, Spain|
|2009||Post-doctoral fellow, Department of Animal Production, Epidemiology & Ecology, University of Torino, Italy|
|2013||Postgraduate in Cinematography, Escola Superior de Cinema I Audiovisuals de Catalunya (ESCAC), Barcelona, Spain|
|2012||M.A. in Film Direction, Escola Superior de Cinema I Audiovisuals de Catalunya (ESCAC), Barcelona, Spain|
|2011||M.A. in Film Studies, Faculty of Philosophy & Art, University of Cordoba, Spain|
|2009||Ph.D. in Ecology, Genetics, Department of Animal & Plant Biology, and Ecology, University of Jaen, Spain|
|2004||M.A. in Ecosystem Management, Department of Animal & Plant Biology, and Ecology, University of Jaen, Spain|
|1998||B.A. in Agriculture Engineering, Agriculture Faculty, University of Aleppo, Syria|
Link to the trailers of my films and the behind the scenes of my workshops.
- Angelone S., Jowers MJ., Molinar Min AR., et al. (2018). Hidden MHC Genetic Diversity in the Iberian Ibex (Capra pyrenaica). BMC Genetics 19: e28. DOI: 10.1186/s12863-018-0616-9
- Angelone S., Biebach I., Pérez JM., Soriguer RC., Granados JE. (2017). Molecular Analyses Reveal Unexpected Genetic Structure in Iberian Ibex Populations. PLoS ONE 12, no. 1: e0170827. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0170827
- Mijele D., Iwaki T., Otiende M., Obanda V., Rossi L., Soriguer RC., Angelone S. (2016). Influence of massive and long distance migration on parasite epidemiology: Lessons from the Great Wildebeest Migration. EcoHealth 13 (4), 708-719. DOI: 10.1007/s10393-016-1156-2
- Mutinda M., Chenge G., Gakuya F. Otiende M., Omondi P., Kasiki S., Soriguer RC., Angelone S. (2014). Detusking Fence-Breaker Elephants as an Approach in Human-Elephant Conflict Mitigation. PLoS ONE 9: e91749. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0091749
- Angelone S. (2013). War Diseases Revealed by the Social Media: Massive Leishmaniasis Outbreak in the Syrian Spring. Parasites & Vectors 6: e94. DOI: 10.1186/1756-3305-6-94
- Angelone S., Permunian R., Gakuya F., Mutinda M., Soriguer RC., Rossi L. (2012). Sarcoptic-Mange Detector Dogs Used to Identify Infected Animals During Outbreaks in Wildlife. BMC Veterinary Research 8, no. 110: e110. DOI: 10.1186/1746-6148-8-110
- Angelone S., Soriguer RC., Chelomina G., Sushitskyc YP., Fickeld J. (2011). Siberian Tiger’s Recent Population Bottleneck in the Russian Far East Revealed by Microsatellite Markers. Mammalian Biology 76, no. 6: 722–26. DOI: 10.1016/j.mambio.2011.01.011