Our research interests focus on the role of vegetation, its composition and structure, on land surface processes and climate feedbacks. Radiation is one of the key factors linking land surface and atmospheric processes. At the same time, radiation is a limiting growth factor of vegetation, be it in the short wavelength range as photosynthetically active radiation or in the longwave domain as temperature. Our goal is to contribute to ecological and climatological questions through combined field and satellite radiation measurements, radiative modelling, and ecological experimental approaches, from the plant to the landscape scale.
The emphasis lies on continuous process-related ecosystem variables (e.g. albedo, plant traits), going beyond traditional land cover types with spatially discrete class boundaries. Our focus is on vegetation dynamics, biodiversity and related permafrost-vegetation-atmosphere processes in Northeastern Siberian tundra.
- Gabriela will talk about her research and life as a scientist to the public in Winterthur on 25 October - buy a ticket and join us live or follow-up later in the print and online media http://wissenschaft-persoenlich.ch/
- Congratulations to Maitane Iturrate-Garcia on the acceptance of her first paper in Ecology and Evolution on tundra species diversity and community composition! Early view now available http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ece3.2548/full
- Congratulations to Inge Juszak for her successful PhD thesis defense and acceptance of the Biogeosciences paper!
This paper just received an F1000 recommendation! http://f1000.com/prime/726638562#eval793522135
- Gabriela is now a Swiss representative in the terrestrial working group of the International Arctic Science Committee http://iasc.info/working-groups/terrestrial
- A portrait of Gabriela's work in 20min newspaper :-)
- Visit our blog on the field work during summer 2013 in Siberia!
- Vegetation composition and changes in Siberian tundra ecosystems
- Arctic shrub encroachment and related feedbacks to permafrost and climate
- Land surface reflectance and albedo definitions and measurements
- Validation of satellite-inferred land products
- Spatial patterns of vegetation and animal movement