Our research interests focus on the role of vegetation, its composition and structure on land surface processes and climate feedbacks. Radiation is one of the key factors linking land surface and atmospheric processes. At the same time, radiation is a limiting growth factor of vegetation, be it in the short wavelength range as photosynthetically active radiation or in the longwave domain as temperature. Our goal is to contribute to ecological and climatological questions through combined field and satellite radiation measurements, radiative modelling, and ecological experimental approaches, from the plant to the landscape scale.
The emphasis lies on continuous process-related ecosystem variables (e.g. albedo, plant traits), going beyond traditional land cover types with spatially discrete class boundaries. Our focus is on vegetation dynamics, biodiversity and related permafrost-vegetation-atmosphere processes in Northeastern Siberian tundra.
- A portrait of Gabriela's work in 20min newspaper :-)
- The Nature Climate Change paper on climate sensitivity of pan-arctic shrub growth is out, including data from our Kytalyk station!
- Congratulations to Rowana Walton on the accomplishment of her MSc thesis on 'Habitat use and preference of the Aldabra giant tortoise (Aldabrachelys gigantea) on Aldabra Atoll, Seychelles' - very well done!!
- Congratulations to Inge Juszak for her Outstanding Student Poster (OSP) Award at the EGU General Assembly 2015!
- Gabriela Schaepman-Strub was recently invited to become a member of the Swiss Committee on Polar and High Altitude Research.
- Join our group for your MSc thesis! One topic still available Arctic landscape patterns
- Visit our blog on the field work during summer 2013 in Siberia!
- Vegetation composition and changes in Siberian tundra ecosystems
- Arctic shrub encroachment and related feedbacks to permafrost and climate
- Land surface reflectance and albedo definitions and measurements
- Validation of satellite-inferred land products
- Spatial patterns of vegetation and animal movement
Projects and collaborations